Monday, November 16, 2015

These days are fading...

On Saturday this past seek, we had a really beautiful day out here in the country.  The sun was out, there was still a gentle breeze, but it was not enough to make you put on a jacket.  The temperature was in the upper 60s -- and this is the middle of November.  Getting a day like this is almost like stealing.

I thought about playing golf, but every time I walked by the back door, the pile of cattails down by the burn pit kept calling to me.  I really wanted to get those all burned and done away with before the bad weather came and I lost my chance.  Also, I was also hoping to get rid of that pile before the grass was killed underneath it.   So, reluctantly, out I went.

I have always been one to admit when I have a weakness.  I had just put the last pile of cattails on the fire, and the day was so pleasant, I looked around to see if there was anything else that needed to be done out there by the barn.  And sure enough, there was.  The hammock was still up from the summer and sure was looking pretty lonely from non-use for a while.  So, I felt it was only right that I would go over and say hello.  Well, this led to that, and next thing I knew, I was lying down, rocking back and forth.  There are a lot of people who wouldn't believe me (not that I would take any and every opportunity to lie in the hammock).  They just might not believe me as to how beautiful it was on November14th.  In the flying business, we called this "severe clear."  So I snapped a couple of shots with the phone camera. 

Lying there, I took great pleasure watching the smoke dance around in the breeze, up, down, away from me, and back in my face.  I could also hear small airplanes above, flying around in that great mass of blue sky, and I recalled my days of flying, looking down on days like this, wondering which was the winds were blowing, if at all.  And then I would see some guy burning leaves, creating a wind sock of sorts for me, letting me know what was going on down there. 

Funny how things like that pop back into your mind, when all you originally had set out to do was clean up around the pond.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.  (Leonardo Da Vinci)

Hooah 

P.S.  OK.  So how do I top a day like this ... I played golf with my brother and a couple of his friends the next day.  This was an almost perfect day too.  And what is even better -- I shot an 86 and beat my brother by 3 strokes.  Now this might be the last day of the year to play golf, and that means I have bragging rights for the whole winter.    

Winters are pretty long around here, so this could be really fun!!


No comments: