Thursday, November 26, 2015

Reliving the glory days...

Just every once in a while, I get the urge to get the guns out and head on down to the range just to see if I still have it (yes, that is an implied assertion that I actually once really did have "it").  If any of my old NCOs happen to stumble on this and take issue with this statement, perhaps thinking that they were better, or that much better at this art than I was, I would challenge them to 50 rounds of .45 cal. or 9mm at the range of their choice. Loser buys the beer guys!!

So this past weekend, I got myself down to the local Gander Mountain store and picked up some boxes of ammo to take with me.  The prices there are usually better than at the range.  I think I will also pick up some targets next time as I think they are also a bit higher at the range.  So, having done that, on Tuesday evening I called an old friend of mine (an old WWII gentleman who is still very spry and really knows his way around guns) and asked if he wanted to go down for a while.  He had a bit of a cold and thought he should maybe stay home.  Wednesday was a beautiful day, sunny with a high of 64 degrees.  I wonder if he might have rethought his plans.  Oh, well, maybe next time. 

The next person I thought of was my brother.  He kinda likes to shoot and is thinking of purchasing a gun so he likes to go and look.  He shoots OK, but then, he was a cook in the army.  I guess if you could fire a spoon he would be pretty good.  He told me he too had a bit of a bug, and would pass this time. 

So, I asked my wife if she wanted to go.  She has never been anywhere near a firing range, so this would be a first. So the "Pioneer Woman" said yes and off we went.  She also wanted to stop at the book store to pick up a couple of things she had ordered, so this was really a trade-off.  I can live with that.

Here are the targets from the range. The first one you see is the 9mm target.  The second one is from the .45 cal. Again, the whole purpose behind this trip was just to get back to doing something I once really enjoyed doing.  The secondary reason was that I just got new glasses and wanted to see how much of an impact they would have on my initial accuracy.  Both of these sessions were fired at 20 feet (a normal close contact range) and if necessary, I could make adjustments later.

On this target, you will see three distinct shot groups.  The first group is the center-mass.  A little scattered, but still pretty much on the mark.  the second group is the neck shots.  I pulled one off to the right, but the rest of the group is pretty good (need to work on the horizontal sight picture some).  Then I went for the head shots.  Kinda all over the place there, but still effective.  I have never really felt comfortable shooting the 9mm for some reason.

This is the target for the .45 cal.  Same distance, same progression.  First ones (center-mass) were pretty much on, but just a bit high.  The second grouping (neck) were OK.  I was good with the head shots.  Then I had some ammo left over, so I tried to see if I could hit spots.  I took aim at the outside ring, shoulder levels.  The ones on the left were good, but the ones on the right needed some help.  Might have been a breeze at that time (oops -- forgot, this was an indoor range.  No breeze.  Must have been operator error!).  Then, to finish it off, I thought I would see if I could give this target some pierced ears.  The left two shots were mixed, one good, and one missed him by an inch or so.  The right ones were right on. Could hang a couple of big old hoops on that side (once the ringing stopped).

All in all, it was really fun for me.  Not sure the "Pioneer Woman" was all that cracked about it, but at least she went.  I wanted to get a picture of her up by the firing line with a target behind her so she could post something on her Facebook about her going to the shooting range.  Just to see what kind of comments she would get form her more "civilized" friends.

So, later on as I was cleaning the guns (in my Army days I would have called them weapons -- guess I am getting older, huh!), I got to thinking back to how much I really enjoyed going to the range with my troops.  Seemed like it always rained, or the wind was blowing 100 miles per hour, or it was snowing , or all of the above.  But it was a time for us to come together as a team.  We laughed, cussed, spit, fired, made excuses, bragged and ended the weekend tired and soaking wet, but we really enjoyed it.  All the real soldiers couldn't wait for these trips, and the others (usually the younger and less experienced soldiers) ended up enjoying it because we worked real hard with them and they got to where they could hold their own with the "old guys."

I guess those who don't like guns are pounding their fists on the desk as they read this, coming up with all sorts of names for me and those like me who just really enjoy this sport.  Too bad.  So sorry you feel this way (not really).

A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. (Frederick Douglass)

Hooah

1 comment:

Poolpatcher said...

Oh yeah, I really enjoyed those 33 degree days standing at the range in Ft. Knox breaking down ammo boxes and loading clips. Cold, wet, hungry, tired...man, I really liked that!!! BTW, great shooting. I didn't realize you were that good with a hand-gun!