Sunday, November 17, 2013

The last round this year ?????

Just about a week ago, the weather man promised us a good day (at least for this time of the year) with sunshine, no wind and temps in the low 50s.  Absolutely nothing wrong with that in November, so four of us decided to give it one last shot.  Although -- I plan to play at least one or two more times as long as there isn't any snow on the ground.  Kinda makes it hard to find the ball, let alone play well.

So we got the round in, and it was pretty nice.  We started the year in North Carolina in the lower 50s and upper 40s, and ended it in Ohio in the same kind of conditions.

Dave (l) just hit a good drive on this hole which is why he is all puffed out. Chuck (r) is just about to remember why he doesn't bend over that far very often -- he has to straighten back up.
At least the grass was green and the fairways and greens were in good shape.  I don't like playing when I have to bundle up, but I hate even more the thought of having to put the clubs away for the winter.  Not that my game is that good, but I know I will miss walking around the courses and being out in nature. I will miss the banter of my golfing buddies when one of us misses a shot or a putt, the story telling and the get-togethers at the 19th hole.  Most golf courses are really scenic and success or failure of a day is almost always up to the skill (or lack thereof) of my swing and my ability to putt. So I enjoying challenging myself to play well and then, sometimes, doing it.

Got a shot this week to get in maybe one or two more rounds.  These would be bonuses.  No expectations, but it would be fun because when one finally has to give up the sticks for the winter, it's a sad time ... especially as you get older.  When nature goes to drab and gray, when her colors fade, and her cold winds chill your bones, you wonder if there will be another spring ... another round.  A golf season is something special, and the game itself is the measure of your mettle. Things are thrown at you, and sometimes it isn't fair, but it's how you come back, and how often you come back that counts.  And you hate to see the season end because it's like someone took something from you before you were ready to hang it up.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them.  Golf is more complicated than that.  (Gardner Dickinson)

Hooah

1 comment:

Poolpatcher said...

LOL...I'm always "puffed out"!!