Sunday, November 3, 2013

Even late in the fall it's pretty nice...

Pam and I have fallen behind in attending to the items on our "day trip" list this year and we decided that if we didn't get on the stick, the year would be gone before we knew it.  So, after looking at both the list and the weather, we decided to go to the Columbus Zoo.

It has been several years since I have been there, but she has been there with the nieces and nephews this summer.  Now I don't mind being there, but I'm not real keen on wall-to-wall people (big or little), so going this late in the year seemed like a unique  opportunity to address the list and still have a good visit at the zoo.

I must say -- the Zoo has changed since my last visit...or at least I think it has.  It was brisk out, but there were still lots of things to see and, it wasn't crowded at all.  Surprisingly, I could wait for good shots with the camera which is something that is normally hard to come by as there are so many other people wanting that same shot of a particular animal.  Happily, that wasn't the case this time and I think I got some really nice shots (see the slide show at the right, down the column a ways). 

Anyway, here are some I really liked.





But I think the best animal picture I took was this one:
Notice it's stare -- rather intense isn't it.  He was probably wondering what was for dinner.  Well, this animal was in the area just on the other side of the sidewalk.
I noticed that it didn't take its eye off me  the whole time I was taking its picture (of course, maybe it was just keeping an eye out for the big cat).

The Zoo is getting ready for its winter light show.  The staff was really getting the place ready for a festival of lights which, I'm sure will be worth going to see (even if it is a bit more crowded).

 I think the older we get, the more we need what the zoo has to offer and so I think we will have to make sure this "day trip" adventure is on the list again next year.  Yes...we'll have to go back.

I thank you God for this most amazing day, for the leaping greenly spirits of trees, and for the blue dream of sky and for everything which is natural, which is infinite, which is yes.  (e.e. cummings)


Hooah

No comments: