Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Kinda reminds me of my days with our Civil War color guard...

When I joined the Sidney Ohio Post 4239 of the VFW (www.sidneyohiovfw.com,) I wanted to get involved and not just be another old guy who stopped by every once in a while to buy a drink, and listen to war stories.  So I volunteered to be a member of the color guard.  I had heard that most of these units had a lot of older guys in the color guards and that they were losing a lot of them, and not being able to meet the demands of ceremonies, funerals, and such.  So anyway, I joined up.

Since I am one of the newest ones on our team, I carry a flag.  I guess I could brush up on my manual of arms commands and procedures and move up to a rifle, but for now, the flag is pretty good.  The other day during come ceremonies at the Sidney court house for Veteran's Day, I had the flag and there was a pretty good breeze going.  I had always believed it looked pretty good seeing the flags blowing in the breezes, but I later found out that the color guard commander wasn't too thrilled about being hit in the face with my flag. He gave me the rookie comments and a good razzing, but he'll get over it.

Following the ceremonies at the courthouse, we were involved with a ceremony at Wal-Mart.  They were honoring the veterans who work there and had us, the mayor, some other dignitaries and cake! 

Once, when we were doing our Civil War color guard, back in the old 342d days, we flew up to Toronto to participate in a really big event put on by the Canadians.  They had color guards from every part of the British empire and we were special guests.  We marched in the Toronto Blue Jays stadium, and it was a really big deal.  At Wal-Mart, we marched from the overhead TV to the pie display (about 20 feet), but it was still a pretty big deal for the honored employees and a chance for Wal-Mart to show its support for our Veterans.

Anyway, it is a good deal, being part of this color guard.  I got to get out my boots again, use some of my  old army stuff and actually do some soldier stuff again.  But one thing I did learn -- or remembered -- or was reminded of -- I cannot leave my boots out in the bedroom.  Pam says it reminds her of my real army days when I would leave stuff out all the time, when I would come back from somewhere and leave a bag and or boots out for days at a time and then repack to go off again.  Can't say either of us miss those days. But it was a different army back then.

So ...... I put my "stuff" away until the next time, just like all the old guys do.  I have to admit that at stores and when I am out, I still look for old guys wearing their mementos and signs of their service, and I am happy for what they did, happy that they feel good enough about their service to wear their service ball caps, pins, or vests.  The only bad part of all of this is that I'm now getting to be one of those "old guys."  Oh well...

When an American says that he loves his country, he means not only that he loves the New England hills, the prairies glistening in the sun, the wide and rising plains, the great mountains, and the sea.  He means that he loves an inner air, an inner light in which freedom lives and in which a man can draw the breath of self-respect.  (Adlai Stevenson)

Hooah

No comments: