Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Something else we might do ...

When I am out on the golf course, I sometimes think about what I could be doing at home with Pam, you know -- spending quality time together, like going fishing or riding bikes at the park. After all, golf is a time consuming game, usually taking a minimum of 2 hours for 9 holes, and up to 4 hours or more for 18. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy this "man time," but I sometimes envy the guys who play golf with their wives -- sometimes.

So, the other day, I went out and bought her a 3-wood and a Rescue club and gave them to her. She has always said she would like to learn to play golf, but would like to try it out in a low key environment (like a driving range) first to see if she could even swing a club. So, on Father's Day (of all times) she and I went to the driving range and she swung golf clubs for the first time in her life. I got her a bucket of balls and we had at it.
I captured some short videos of her swinging, but right now I am not smart enough to figure out/remember how to post them, so this still will have to do for now -- until I can call my son and ask him how to get that done.

Pretty good set-up though. I thought she did pretty well for this being the first time she has ever had a club in her hand aside from a putt-putt course. And speaking of putting, we went to the putting green after the driving range and practiced there too. She has a pretty good touch with the putter and should do OK there.

I just hope Pam knows how serious of a game she is attempting to learn. It's been said that golf is a passion, an obsession, a romance, a nice acquaintanceship with trees, sand, and water. It's not until you understand this (see below) that you can understand why people are attracted to golf and take it so seriously.

In the meantime, we'll continue to practice and I'll keep you all posted. Till then, hit 'em straight and keep 'em in the short grass.

When I die, bury me on the golf course so my husband will visit. (Author Unknown)

Hooah

No comments: