Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Always on watch ...

I really enjoy living in the country, always have. There's just something about being able to go out and walk more than 35-40 feet in any direction without having to make a turn because you're now on the neighbor's yard. Two things I have noticed about living here, however -- everything has trade-offs, and there's always something new to see.

Most of you know we have a pond here where I (and all my neighbors and friends) can fish -- which is pretty cool. While not wanting to make that area too developed with electricity, lights and fancy little patio chairs, however, I did build a fire ring next to it. It is so relaxing sitting out there in the evenings, sipping a cold one, watching the stars and listening to the frogs. The trade-off there is I had to spend some time this past year cutting fire wood. But Jared and Dylan (the neighbor boys) and I built a respectable wood pile which has since become a rustic condo of sorts for field mice. Well, better there than in the garage -- that's a good trade-off.

Another spin-off of this is the family of owls that now resides in the trees out back. They have been there for about three years. I have counted as many as nine of them. Having a military background, it is fascinating to watch them "deploy" to hunt. Basically they encircle the cemetery area and the field behind it and post themselves in key positions so they can see everything that moves and then they just wait. I have noticed that they stake out the wood pile pretty well. That probably keeps the mice close to home and out of the garage and the shed.

This usually takes place just before dark. the rest of the time I can usually find them roosting in the trees.

A couple of farmers have said they have seen some eagles in the area. Don't know about that. But I do know that if I just keep my eyes and ears open, there is so much out there God teases us with as He reveals Himself to us.

Like I said, living in the country is fun!!

“Speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee.”


Hooah

No comments: