Thursday, March 2, 2017

Getting one of my wheels repaired...

For about the past year or so, my right knee has been giving me a hard time, so I decided to bite the bullet and get it fixed.  Figured it couldn't be too big of a deal -- a little cut here, a little snip there and good as new.

RIGHT!!!

I went through all the hoops with the doctors and finally got an appointment with the surgeon.  He seemed like a good enough guy -- he is a duck hunter and we talked a short time about hunting and his recent luck on a trip.  OK.  We're off to a good start.  He told me that this would be a 15 min. deal at most and I would walk out of the surgery recovery room after about an hour of shaking off the sedation.  OK.  That sounds good.  I kinda laid out my tentative timeline of when our golfing man-trip would begin and then backward planned this deal so that we could get this done, rehabbed, and ready to go.  He said that he does pro football players who are back to playing within 4 weeks.  OK.  That sounds good.  He said he also does young high school athletes who are up and around sooner than that.  OK.  I figure I'm tougher than most high school football players, so sounds like this is a "GO."  If it went as well as he said, I figured I might still be able to try out for the QB position for the Browns -- after all, they need help.  The Doc said I might want to set my sights a little higher!!  He must not be a Browns fan.

So, everything went pretty well and I did, indeed, walk out of the place shortly after the procedure.  Oh, did I tell you how well that pain killer they gave me worked.  Well, when it wore off later that evening, I had a pretty different outlook on the whole thing.  It actually hurt like heck.  He did a repair of a meniscus on the outside of the knee, and scraped off some arthritis on the inside part.  Here is the contraption I had around my knee for several days.  It circulated ice water and really worked pretty well.

The bruises shown in the picture on the left are from the tourniquet they put on at the beginning of the procedure.  I'm taking their word for it because I was somewhere else at that time, sleeping very comfortably.  Anyhow, that was really a deep bruise in the muscle and it took several days to work its way out and feel somewhat better.  Notice the two little marks on the kneecap -- that is where all the work was done.

So now, it has been 4 weeks since the procedure.  He said that I would be 100% in 5 weeks.  So that means I will be able to hit my drives 300 yards straight down the fairway  and make every putt on the first try.  That's my definition of 100%.  Anybody know a good malpractice attorney who plays golf!!

So, I've had a better time with this than I expected.  The Doc was great, and the procedure went right according to his plan.  How will the golfing go?  We'll see in a couple of weeks.

Golf is a hard game to figure. One day you will go out and slice it and shank it, hit into all the traps and miss every green. The next day you go out and, for no reason at all, you really stink.  (Bob Hope)

Hooah

1 comment:

Poolpatcher said...

LOL...you and I will look like the Fife and drum corps walking down the fairway! My shoulder isn't doing very well but I'm still working on it. I'll probably have to use all those golf sayings on the trip!