Monday, March 13, 2017

Better late than never...

How many articles have I written over the years with that lead-in?  Hmmmmmmm.

Well, this one will just have to be another one in the series.  Today, tonight, and tomorrow the talking heads of local and national TV stations are predicting the end of the earth.  It seems that a snow storm, not unlike the ones of our youth, is poised to hit the east coast.  Some of the extreme prognosticators are calling it the storm of the century.  Don't know that it is much different from the one by the same name last year, but that's how they make their money and ratings so let's drive on.

Daylight savings time just took place this past Sunday, and now Spring is only 7 days away. Don't know why it waited till now to come, but maybe this late season snow is something we really need.  Seems any time I get around my farmer friends, they say we really need some snow to build the ground water table a bit. OK.  I know the ski lodge guy at Mad River is really diggin' on another blast, especially since his business has been up and down (get it) the last few years. So, given all that and more, I guess a late snow should have been anticipated.  All I know is it really was fun being around here today.

Snow started around 3 p.m.  My wife told me that most of the stores had sold out of everything on the shelves by then (we're only expecting less than 3 inches).  As it proceeded to snow a bit harder, I sat in the pentagon room and watched it.  The bird feeders were full, so we had quite a bunch of hungry flappers out there.  The whiter it got, the brighter the birds showed up against the background.  We had a large assortment of wrens, brilliant cardinals and their mates, scores of morning doves, woodpeckers, red-winged blackbirds, fat robins, and some that were passing through that I didn't get a chanced to look up in the bird book.  The last couple of weeks, we have been having a couple of mallard ducks stopping by for a morning swim.  We also have rabbits who live between the underside of our deck and the woodpile by the "waterfront cottage (a.k.a.the shed by the pond).  They run around, chasing each other -- wonder what they are up to?  Today, we had two of our owls flying on hunt over the field just behind our house.  Those are majestic birds when they are soaring on the winds.  And, of course, there is always the red tail hawks that swing in occasionally for the possibility of a meal, which could be fish or fowl.

So, even though it was/is snowing, and it is getting too close to golf season for this stuff to hang around, I don't mind it that much.  I have the luxury of staying in the house if I want.  So a day or two won't hurt.  I'll just keep reading, talking on the ham radio every once in a while, and maybe, just maybe, taking a nap if the spirit moves me.

Man trip in two weeks.  Can hardly wait.  Knee is about 95% now.

 Snow and a bad day on the golf course are the only things that "go away" if you ignore them long enough.

Hooah

2 comments:

Poolpatcher said...

I did the same thing today! I have a really nice "4 station" bird feeder just off the patio and really enjoy watching them. I also have woodpeckers, cardinals, doves, a blue jay, and hundreds of wrens. No owls that I've seen and no hawks (anymore). We had a nest of hawks last summer living in the trees between my house and John T. When they were there, nothing else came around...including they squirrels. A couple of the robins are so at they don't even fly in, they walk!

BTW, had to go to urgent care this afternoon. Seems I got a case of bronchitis. It it isn't one thing, it's another!!! Looking forward to the 27th!

mbenn391 said...

You need to take care of yourself.