Monday, November 19, 2012

I wonder what else is still working...

Yesterday was an exceptionally good day as both my lovely bride and I both turned 64 -- just now entering the prime of our lives.  We had a nice dinner and took a nice walk later in the afternoon (the sun was out and it was in the mid 50s here).  In fact, I could have probably played golf again, but thought it would still be nice this week and instead chose to watch the Browns blow a double-digit lead and lose to the Cowboys.

Anyway, I thought since Pam and I are still moving around pretty good, what else around here has held up that well.  I didn't have to look too long as I noticed a couple of objects in our bedroom that have been pretty dependable -- a couple of fans and a white noise maker.
I got all three of these things in 2005 while stationed in DC.  The black fan has run pretty much 24x7 since I bought it.  I like a soft gentle movement of air in the bedroom so it has passed the E.B. (Energizer Bunny) Test with flying colors.  The only time I turn it off is when we take the face off it and wipe down the blades and dust it.

The silver fan and the noise maker haven't been put into that much service, but they are both used every day.  The noise maker is on every night and sometimes during the day when we might have a thunder storm -- it helps settle down Bailey.  And for some reason, she really likes lying in front of the two fans.
I have never checked these items to see where they were manufactured, but wherever it was, they certainly did a pretty nice job.  I wonder if any of these companies are still in business.

Oh yeah, when I was putting this article together, I heard a little whimper in the corner of the office room, over by the old computer.  It was Barnabus.  He was my flying buddy.  He has logged about 10 years of flying with me.  He just wanted to remind me that he was still here, on duty if I needed him, ready to go at a moment's notice.  Sorry, old buddy.  You'll just have to be content to flying a desk for now.  Happens to the best of us.

And then there is one other thing I have to tell you about that has been "working" for a real long time -- my golf clubs.  I don't know if I can say they were "working" all this time -- it's more like a labor of love (most of the time).  I got the irons made way back in 1972.  They are PGA Ryder Club models.  Someone I was playing with the other day said these clubs are called "muscle back clubs" and aren't seen much these days.  At first I thought he might have said they were "knuckle head clubs" which would have matched my game some.  But he didn't.  And he also liked my putter (an old PING Answerer model) and said he saw one on the internet going for about $200. 
Like I said, these clubs are still working pretty well.  I shot a 99 the other day (pretty cold and windy) and one of the guys I was playing with shot 100.  I told him I was 10 strokes better than him.  He said how's that?  I said I shot in the 90s and you were in the 100s.  And that's how I learned golf math.

So those are some of the things I have seen in the last day or two that really have held up over the years -- just like my bride and me.

To me, old age is always ten years older than I am.

Hooah

No comments: