Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Deck the Halls...

Remember all the really nice days right before Thanksgiving, and the mid-50s on the Friday after Thanksgiving?  Well, a smart person would have thought that was the ideal time to put up outdoor Christmas decorations.  And then there's me -- I thought it would be ideal for that one last round of golf for the year.  Oh, I didn't skip the decorations this year, I just waited until the temps got down to the upper 30s and low 40s.  Nothing like a good 15 mph wind and a 35 degree afternoon to inspire a procrastinator like me.  Just something about hitting your fingers and thumb with the hammer when you're putting up garland.  And top that off with a cold, runny nose -- man it just doesn't get any better than that!!!

So anyhow, here are the pictures of our efforts.  I think they turned out pretty nice.  Here is a picture of the front of the house.
You may recall that we put a pergola on the back of the house this fall.  Well, I thought it needed some decorating so I went out and bought a tree to liven it up a bit.  I hadn't shopped for an artificial tree for a while so I had a case of sticker shock when I went to Lowes to see what they had.  I ended up buying a cut tree -- not quite the Charlie Brown version though.  It was a pretty nice tree, about 6 feet tall.  I figured I could throw it out back by the shed after Christmas and then sink it in the pond this spring to serve as cover for the fish.  Sounds like a plan -- I just hope I remember that this coming year when I get snagged on it while going after Walter.  I don't think I 'll tell all the other people who come up to fish.  Let them find out by themselves!!

I took some pictures of the back.  The night ones take on that "Away in a manger" look.  And I think the bow kinda makes it, don't you think? 




Two things I will learn about decorating the back deck -- I will see if the water in the tree stand freezes, and I will see if the tree keeps its needles until Christmas.  Just an experiment.

I don't think I'll take the Christmas lights down.  They'll look so festive for Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's Day.

Hooah

No comments: