Thursday, November 17, 2011

Oh, crap...

I was cleaning out my study this week and ran across some pictures that made me chuckle a bit.

This one is from an incident when I was a young company commander.  It seems that a young Soldier got a little too rowdy one weekend evening in the company area, and was brought in front of me by the First Sergeant.  After I chewed him out for acting in such a manner as to bring discredit to the Military Police Corps, I had to assign him some sort of punishment.  I didn't feel like pursuing UCMJ punishment, so I handed down some "non-judicial" punishment, also known as "turning him over to the 1SG".  That kind of punishment usually meant more and didn't harm anyone's future in the service.  I mentioned to the 1SG that the latrine looked a bit dirty and could use a "good" cleaning.  So off he went with his Beetle Baileyish-looking private in tow.

Several hours later, the 1SG returned with the young Soldier who claimed that the latrine was now cleaned. With the 1SG smiling in the background, the young troop said he had done a good job, and he wanted me to see it before any other troops got in there to mess it all up.  I told him if he was that proud of it, maybe he should take a picture of it so he would remember it the next time he thought of screwing something up. 

Well guess what, he (or the 1SG) had anticipated what I might say and whipped out an instant picture he had shot.  I almost laughed!!  He said he had learned a lesson, and I dismissed him.  And then I laughed to myself.  He (or the 1SG) had anticipated what I would say to him and took the picture.  When we would be out training, I would always tell them they had to anticipate what I or some other of their leaders would do in a certain situation and either plan ahead or already be doing it.  I would tell them that we wouldn't always be there to tell them what to do.  It seems someone had gotten the message.  I expect he may have sent other pictures of him doing latrine duty home to his girlfriend.  Probably had some good stories later to tell over a dinner table.

I love it when a plan comes together.  And aren't these good looking crappers.  Anyone who ever spent any time in the service remembers this set-up.

This kinda brought back the old line my drill sergeant used to hammer into us when I was in basic training...

If it moves, salute it; if it doesn't move, pick it up; and if you can't pick it up, paint it.

Hooah

No comments: