Wednesday, November 9, 2011

First Field Trip...

Last week, the preschool (a.k.a. Big boy school) that Quinn attends in Brooklyn took a field trip to a petting farm located in Queens.  It was his first field trip ever, and I think it was his first trip in a school bus.  What a day.  Doug said it was supposed to be about 45 min. away via the expressway, but the traffic that morning turned it into a 3-hour trip getting there.  He said the kids did alright, but some of the parents got a bit frazzled.  Anyway, they got there just fine, and were greeted by the guides who asked "Who wants to take a pony ride."

That was the start of a great day for them.  And when I saw the pictures, I had to think back to some of my childhood, growing up in a rural Ohio setting, surrounded by farms.  I spent many summer days working for neighbor farmers, cutting, raking and baling hay and straw, stacking it in barns, cleaning out pig pens, showing pigs at the county fair, and even milking goats for one old lady who got sick and had us look after things for a while.

Seeing Quinn in these pictures really brought back some memories of good times.  How lucky he was to have gone on a trip like this. 

I really don't know what kind of chicken this is, but I am totally surprised he is holding it.














When he was telling us about the pigs, he said, "They stink."  Maybe some day I'll tell him about the summer I slept in the hog pens with our pigs during fair week.  I don't recall it being that smelly, but then we were just teenagers and may have smelled as bad as the surroundings and just didn't know the difference.

This picture really surprised me, him being out there in the middle of the sheep.  He really doesn't like our dog, Bailey, coming up to him.  Maybe he's growing up.  Maybe it's just because all his classmates were there too.
And what would a field trip be without a bunch of worn out kids sleeping on the bus on the way home. What a great experience.



To bring up a child in the way he should go, travel that way yourself once in a while.

Hooah

No comments: