Monday, November 3, 2008

Now, just you hold on a minute!!!!!!!

Saturday, Pam and I went to an open house welcome back party for one of my old Sergeants-Major who had just returned from his latest deployment to Iraq (by the way, I hope it is his last -- he's getting too old for this crap). We had a great visit. Two of my other Army buddies were there -- Dave, a former CSM, and Bob, a former 1SG. One nice thing was they all brought their wives so Pam got to meet some and renew friendships with others.

So far, so good. Then we drove back to McCartyville and pulled up in front of the mail box to see what we got besides all those obnoxious, annoying political flyers. And there it was...in fact there THEY were.

I immediately thought about calling the Post Master to file a complaint. How could she be so cruel. Pam and I make Christmas candy and always leave a big platefull for the mail lady, and she does this to us!!!

She delivered those inevitable signs that time waits for no man (or woman) -- GOLDEN BUCKEYE cards. "Say it ain't so, Joe." I remember when my parents got theirs -- and I thought how old they were. I can recall how my mom went into denial. In fact, I think Pam might be doing the same thing.

Well, I finally sucked it up and put mine in my wallet. Might as well use it, I guess. Pam finally today took hers off the little sticky greetings card thingy that it comes on telling you you are getting closer and closer to being old. It's still sitting on the counter in the kitchen though.

The next day, I thought I would give this thing a whirl and see what I could get for it. I went to the Speedway for a cup of coffee after church. You're right -- no dice. They take money, they take Speedy rewards cards, but no Golden Buckeye card. Then I went to Tim Horton's and sadly found out the same thing. Soooooooo, Mr. Golden Buckeye -- you're 0-2. Since the state of Ohio didn't send a list of places I could use this thing, I thought I should go online to see what they had to offer. I printed a list of places in Shelby and Miami counties. Mickey-Ds is in, and so is Wendy's, so that's good. And I guess it's better than nothing.

Since we're looking at an immenent move to PA, I went online to see if they have anything there like this program. Nope. And if they did, they'd probably tax it anyway. Oh, well.

I'll still throw away the AARP things we get in the mail. I don't believe in most of their political stances. But I'll use this card. Thanks Ohio for thinking of your older citizens -- even if I/we don't think we're there yet.

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." (Author Unknown)

Hooah

No comments: