Saturday, November 15, 2008

Enough snow to track a rabbit...

An old tale from my childhood goes something like this: The way you can tell how many major snows there will be in a winter is to note the date of the first snow of the year that is heavy enough to track a rabbit. That date will equate to how many snows there will be.

Well, today, November 15, is the first snow of the year here in McCartyville and you can certainly track a rabbit in this one. You'll notice I got the boat put away for the winter too.

Each year, once in the late fall and then again in the early spring, my neighbor, Jim, comes over and helps me take the motor off the boat. I suppose I could try to wrastle if off the boat and get it on the stand in the garage by myself, but it only takes the two of us about five minutes and we don't get all greasy and buggered up doing it. He usually brings one of the boys over when he comes -- whoever has his homework done I guess. Anyway, I told them the snow/rabbit tale and guess what, he remembered it. Now he's delightedly looking ahead to lots of snow days this winter.

Bailey went out with me today to walk in the snow. She can't see it, but she remembered it. One big flake fell right on her nose. I'm talking at least an inch wide one. She pulled up short, licked it off, and then kinda ran around a bit, licking the snow off the ground just like she used to do. The flakes are so big she looks like a Dalmation Lab!!

Another sight that always makes me pause and think of the things we have that we had no hand in paying for is the snow falling on the graves of the Civil War Vets' in the cemetery behind our house. The flags waving in the breeze provides a stunning contrast of red, white and blue with the snow on the ground and the green of the pines. The snow is coming down so heavily right now, the fields behind the cemetery almost look like they are in a heavy fog. Kinda eerie. Kinda powerful.

Earth, teach me to forget myself as melted snow forgets its life, teach me resignation as the leaves which die in the fall, teach me courage as the tree which stands all alone...teach me regeneration as the seed which rises in the spring. (William Alexander)

Hooah

No comments: