Monday, January 17, 2022

Our visitor on a cold, windy day in NC ...

Well, the earth didn't come to an end this weekend as predicted by some of the local weathermen ... at least not in Youngsville. We received about 1/8" of snow (that pretty much was gone in a couple of hours), and then came the freezing rain which was more of an issue than the snow.  But it soon warmed up a bit (34 degrees) and the freezing rain unfroze and turned to just good, old rain (we got almost 2" of that wet stuff).  And that was our weekend (oh, I think there was some black ice in places too).  We didn't get it nearly as bad as they did in the western parts of the state, near Boone and Grandfather Mountain.

Anyway, since it was going to be such a nasty weekend, we put out a little more bird seed than usual.  We usually have lots of birds out back by the feeders, and I figured the weather might bring in a few more so Pam and I wanted to keep the feeders full.  And it paid off -- we got this little fellow.  Pam happened to be looking our the back window and captured it with her phone camera.  Cool (no pun intended).

It's really something when we get birds like this stopping by.  We get plenty of the little brown guys shown above, and lots of morning doves and recently we've gotten a handful of big crows!

Having these birds come around always brightens my day.  Kinda reminds me of a line I used in one of my blog entries a long time ago about hope and spring and coming out of an Ohio winter.  When I see these guys, I get to thinking that spring can't be that far away, especially here in NC. Maybe I should go polish up my golf clubs, just to be ready, ya know!

You can't see Canada across lake Erie, but you know it's there.  It's the same with spring.  You have to have faith, especially in Ohio.

Hooah

1 comment:

Poolpatcher said...

I did the same thing here with my bird feeders. Like you, we get a lot of the little brown guys (wrens) but also Cardinals, Woodpeckers, Blue Jays, and a bunch of different finches. I enjoy drinking my morning coffee and watching them fight for position on the feeders.