Monday, January 3, 2022

Amazing what you can find in a shoe box ...

I was looking for a letter from an old woman in our church -- a WWII Nurse -- who recently died.  She was a very good writer and I wanted to see what she had to say, hoping she could give me some thoughts on her time in the Army.  I was deployed at this time in Iraq and had some time between duty shifts, so I wrote to her, thanking her for her service and maybe sharing with her some things I had done or seen, hoping she might pass along some things she may have experienced, some things we might now have in common.  I was quite surprised that she actually wrote back.  I am really going to have to keep looking for that letter and may share later.

Anyway,  while looking through that old shoe box, I did come across some interesting things, one of which was a poem I scribbled on the back of an envelope.  I think it was written while on a flight to Kuwait, and it was intended for my wife.  Not sure I ever showed it to her, but better late than never.  

Thoughts of you ... 

All too often, random thoughts -- wisps of memories,

         at first distant, then overpowering ... then gone.

But they return, fresh, crisp, exciting -- compelling.

Reinforcing the love, confirming the need,

Overpowering the separation of the miles.

Hooah

No comments: