Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Play ball ...

Back in August, Pam and I had the opportunity to celebrate our wedding anniversary in a rather unique way -- we went to a minor league baseball game. This was #48, nothing special, but well on our way to #50.  You know, I used to see a lot of articles in the paper highlighting couples celebrating their 50th, but not so many lately.  Either they have already been there and are steaming toward even bigger numbers, or there might be a whole lot of them in the same boat as we are (all of us Baby Boomers).  But it could be, too, that maybe not as many stay together that long or maybe some have died off before they made it.

Regardless, we have made it this far, and one thing I have learned over the years is that if you want to have a long and happy life together, treat each other as though there is nothing you wouldn't do for the other and nothing is too good for that special person in your life.

So having said that, I spent a great deal of time thinking what I could get her to make #48 somewhat special.  Finally, it came to me -- I'll take her our for a show and dinner...two of her favorite things.  Boy, do I know how to treat my woman!!

I called the box office at the Dayton Dragons and got two seats behind home plate (remember -- nothing but the best) and even got the Jeep washed before we went.  I always like to take my sweetie out in clean wheels.  It seems that Dayton was playing the Lansing Lugnuts that night -- doesn't get much better than that.  OK, OK -- if you don't think that a good minor league baseball isn't a good show, you have never been to a game at that level.  The players hustle, there are dancing mascots and vendors shooting T-shirts up into the crowd.  I remember going to one of the Columbus Clipper's games back in the 80s and when a player hit a home run, everyone got up and danced and rang cow bells.  Tell me you've got something that compares with that!!  BTW -- in this picture of us in our seats, is that lady behind photobombing us?


Oh, yeah, back to the dinner part.  Well, ballpark hot dogs and popcorn usually top the night off.  Sometimes I'll even go for a slice of (highly overpriced) pizza and a beer.  And if it is a really good game and the evening is a good one, I might even spring for a foam finger. Uhhh -- probably not.

 So that pretty much wrapped it up for #48.  And as the old Left-hander used to say, "We're rounding third and heading home."  Making our way toward the big 50!

I found this picture (below) which kinda sums up the two of us... just a couple of old prarie dogs making our way through life.  This was a fun twist on a wedding anniversary celebration.  Not something we would do all the time, but definitely fun.

Our wedding was many years ago. The celebration continues to this day. (Gene Perret)


Hooah

No comments: