Sunday, November 19, 2017

Never trust a phone posting ...

Early last week I saw on my phone in the Google section that is supposed to keep me up to date on tracking my favorite sports teams, a thing that said that OU was playing Clemson in basketball.  I thought -- well it's possible, so I looked some more and the ap said that the game was at Ohio at 5:00 p.m.

I thought it a bit strange that Clemson would come to Ohio for an early season game.  If it had said that Ohio was going to Clemson I would have believed that.  OU isn't really the kind of team that would draw Clemsonesque  teams, especially in what is usually the "let's play a patsy to get the kinks out" time of the season.  Usually teams such as OU are the "patsy" teams others want to schedule.  But what the heck -- two levels of this ap said "Clemson at Ohio" so I told my wife I would take her down to Athens for the game.  It was a decent day and might be kind of fun.

So we drove the 3 hours to Athens.  My first clue that there was something wrong was that I  didn't see any "Event Parking" signs as I drove up to the Convo.  But we were a little early so I figured maybe the signs weren't out yet.  However, as we found a parking place and walked up to the doors of the Convo -- and there wasn't a soul around, well I knew something must be up.  So we walked over to Baker Center and asked the gal at the book store check-out counter if there was a game here tonight.  The deer in the headlights look should have been a sign.  After all, I couldn't smell any "weed" in the area.  Well, she looked it up on the computer and sure enough, her computer confirmed that there was a Clemson team that was to be playing Ohio at 5:00 p.m.  She then looked one other place -- the Athletic department website -- and it said the game was in Charleston, SC.  The "at" part was since both teams were part of an early season  tournament and neither one was actually the "home" team, they just assigned one as home and the other one as the visitor... thus the screwy wording on the phone ap.

So --------------- we bailed the car out of the parking garage and headed home.  All was not lost however, as we were able to listen to the game on the radio until we got to about Logan where it faded out.  I think that's also about when the team faded.  They lost the game pretty handily.

But again, all was not lost as we decided to stop at the 94th Aero Squadron in Columbus for dinner.  This is one of our all-time favorite places in the world to eat.  Great food and super atmosphere.

Might look a little ragged but by the time I took this picture we had driven about 6 hours for dinner -- a trip that might have taken 1 1/2 hours max on any other day.  But like I said -- good food, good wine, good story.  The radio guy said they would play again tomorrow night against Dayton. Now we're trying to figure out if we should try to drive to Charleston, drive to Dayton, drive to Athens or just stay home and go to the Sidney Ohio Winter Wonderland parade.  Chose the parade.

You know, every once in a while you just have to have something crazy like this in your life to give you things to look back on and laugh.  We were only out a few bucks for gas and some time, and got a free pass on the stadium hot dog and popcorn.  Pretty good trade for dinner in Columbus.

All great stories in one's life become grander at the dinner table.

Hooah

No comments: