Sunday, April 26, 2015

What a surprise at the pond...

This past week threw a couple of breaks in the weather my way, so I was able to get in some work around the yard.  I particularly wanted to get the first pass with the riding mower done as the grass was already up to my ankles.  I normally mow it at 3.5" - 4" because if I don't, I have an acre and a half of clumps of grass.  Sometimes in the early spring, I even have to cut it twice -- one direction the first time and another direction when I get finished with the first pass.  Takes some time, but at least I get a handle on it early.

I also spent some time with some of the basics -- picking up sticks in the yard, burning them, walking around the pond, working a bit on some of the cattails and pond scum.  Following that, with the sticks in the fire pit burning away, I thought it would be a good idea to "field test" some of the essentials of summer relaxation here by the "waterfront cottage."

So I hauled out the hammock that hangs out by the pond.  I mean, you have to test everything to make sure it is operational and ready for action (so to speak).  Guess what -- it was working fine, so I decided to extend the test drive, maybe even with my eyes closed (just in case I missed something the first time around). 

I was right in the middle of this last test when all of a sudden I heard a huge splash.  It was the kind of splash you would hear if someone were jumping off the dock in the middle of July.  I opened my eyes to see what was the matter and saw a huge hawk just taking off from the surface of the water with a small bass in its talons.  The hawk had just snagged dinner and was taking off .  It looked like a scene from some advertisement for a Rocky Mountain fishing trip or vacation.  Kinda reminded me of the old Hamm's Beer Commercials (am I dating myself?). Anyhow, as the bird flew away, it looked back almost like it was saying "thanks" or "I'll be back sometime."

It was just one of those moments you had to be there to really know what was going on and it was over in just a couple of minutes.  But it was really cool and I was glad to have been able to see it.  I'll try to remember this point when I get out the pole later this spring --

There are two types of fisherman - those who fish for sport and those who fish for fish.  (Author Unknown)

Hooah

No comments: