Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I know it's now close to Christmas...

There are still 10 days left to Christmas, but one of the signs that it is close happened today.  It wasn't anyone coming around to sing Christmas songs, and there isn't anything under our tree.  Nope -- it was the return of the owls.

I happened to be sitting on the couch with Bailey and something caught my eye.  I looked out back and saw some birds flying around and then one of the owls landed on the big tombstone in the cemetery.  Then I noticed more of them, flying and landing in the corn field, stalking out their territory, hoping to see a field mouse or small rabbit.  There was also one in the big fir tree.  In all, there were 8 of them.

I have made note of this "annual" arrival in this blog before, and it has been about this time of year.  I called over to the neighbor's house and told them about the birds because they had told me they missed them last year.  I bet there are lots of people who have never seen owls in the wild, seeing how they hunt and work a corn field.  It's just getting dark now, and they have things pretty much under control

This is another reason why I like living out here.  I don't know where the birds are all the rest of the year, but it's cool that the "Christmas Owls" come back each year about this time. It takes me back to my childhood in Zanesville where we lived in a huge woods, trees all around.  It was Christmas Eve and a rather large white owl landed on a branch just outside our bedroom window and hooted for quite a while. I'm not sure if there is some ancient Indian story or message in all of this, but I was pretty cool -- then and now.

The question is not what you look at, but what you see . (Henry David Thoreau) 

Hooah

No comments: