Thursday, April 1, 2010

Something for Quinn...

On our golf outing last week, we came across this train at the Tanglewood Park complex. It is pretty cool, sitting out there in the middle of the golf/ park complex with its tender and a wagon on a couple of rails.

When I first saw it, I let my imagination run wild and thought of all sorts of things. It could have been used for something as simple as the Reynolds Tobacco people hauling their crops to a far away market. That would make sense since the Reynolds people built this park and the golf courses. However, on a more daring note, it could also have seen action in the Civil War; after all we're in North Carolina. I stood there and stared at it, waiting for some revelation to come to me so I would know why it was there, so I would have a reason to be standing there like a goof.

My mind works in strange ways, or so the other three guys in the group repeatedly told me. You see, I made the mistake of telling them that when we were coming down the side of that real big mountain on I-77 near Rocky Gap that overlooks the valleys north of Pilot Mountain, I would often think of the civil war and armies from both sides controlling the high ground, looking for the other guys on the valley floor, blasting away at them with their artillery pieces that would be scattered along the ridges and mountain tops. I got a lot of grief about that all weekend -- especially when I would launch one of my shots toward a woods or the rough. They would tell me things like "don't look too long or the artillery might come down on us" , or "don't get lost out there in the rough cause the bad guys might take you prisoner." I don't know how I was supposed to play golf under those conditions!!

So, anyway, I just thought the train was neat, and it kinda reminded me of "Thomas the Train" and I thought my grandson might like it.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. (Henry David Thoreau)

Hooah

No comments: