Friday, September 12, 2008

This is just like I remember it, kinda...sorta...

Day 2 of our mini-trip last week was a good one, waking up to another Chamber of Commerce morning on Lake Erie.

We went to the lobby and I couldn't help but chuckle at all the Dallas fans, checking out of the hotel, who looked like they had just returned from a level 5 hangover. Oh, well, off to see the concierge to find a good, cheap breakfast spot. Fortunately, he recommended a very nice, clean, close diner called "Addy's." The food was priced right and very good, especially the French Toast. The cook said he makes it with cream instead of milk.

Following that, we were off to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame which was only a few blocks away. We had to drive, however, because we had to check out of the hotel. The parking garage was easy to get in and cost only $6 with a validated admission ticket from the H.o.F.

Boy, what a place! From the minute I went in, memories of my childhood came rushing back. There are times I get on myself for being shallow, for not remembering things exactly the way they were -- maybe because I wasn't paying attention well enough. Maybe I was only seeing what I wanted to see or retain things that I felt comfortable with or at least wasn't very threatened by. Perhaps I led too sheltered of a life in middle America and wasn't exposed to all the "stuff" others of my generation were. I think it's hard to get a good perspective on something that big when you're living it, when there are no rules yet, nobody telling you this or that is what you should have remembered and taken note of. But, as I walked through the exhibits, things from the late 50's, 60's and 70's looked like they were being taken straight from an encyclopedia buried somewhere deep in my brain.

I was happy to see the personal stories, the old equipment, the old 45's and LP's, the old costumes. I got a real glow when I saw a section on transistor radios, walkmen and 8-tracks. I remembered sitting in the back, right-hand seat of my dad's car when we would go places with that brand-spanking-new transistor radio glued to my ear. It was special because it had a "gen-u-ine" leather case. Boy did I go through those little 9-volt batteries.

The Hall of Fame also did a nice job of reminding us of what those artists had to go through in the early days -- government interference, intimidation and harassment, racism, drugs, alcohol, violence, and such. They presented the information, but didn't beat us over the head with it. Most of us remember that part too.

Like a lot of people my age, I couldn't leave without a stop in the gift shop. We got a cool little shirt for our grandson, some post cards ,a 2-disc CD of 60's classics (I have to admit, I'm still hooked on music from that era) and I got that cool hat shown above. I was particularly drawn to it because I know when I wear it there will be those who ask what kind of alien symbol that is. I prefer to think of it as my way of saying: "If you have to ask, you're too young."

A memory is what is left when something happens and does not completely unhappen. (Edward de Bono)


HOOAH

p.s. The yellow disc on the hat was what one used to play 45's on a record player that only had the little record spindle on it. It took a little patience and some practice to get them to work, but it enabled you to listen to the Four Tops, the Temptations, the Beatles, etc. on your parents' stereo!!

No comments: