Tuesday, July 22, 2008

What a glorious day...

There are all kinds of calls one can get in a day--telemarketers, wrong numbers, prayer chain requests, neighbors, friends, but the best call I have received in a very, very long time came yesterday when my son called to tell me he was sitting there looking at our grandson!!

I'm sure you've all had one of those calls that evokes pure emotion, whether it be tears, an uncontrollable swelling of pride in your chest and a lump in your throat, or (as in my wife's case) an uncharacteristic session of jumping around and cheering while at work.

Well, that call came on Monday at about 12:00 or so. Quinn Douglas made his entry into our lives and I must admit, I had a bit of a tear in my eyes when he told me that all three of them were healthy and doing just fine. The newest chapter of our lives is now unfolding. Thank you, Lord.
You know, one can work all their life, thinking they are getting ahead, saving money, buying "things," trying to build an inventory of friends and experiences, and it only takes the birth of a little baby to blow away

all that other stuff and return a sense of focus to life.

Needless to say, this was a great day. It was our dog's 12th birthday. When she took sick a while back, we didn't think we would have her here for this date. Later that evening, I walked down to the pond and threw a lure in -- caught the biggest bass in the pond on the first cast, and had witnesses (the neighbors were there talking about Quinn's arrival). I probably should have gone out and bought a bunch of lottery tickets but I didn't. After all, hadn't I already received the biggest prize one could ever hope for.

“A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on.” (Carl Sandburg)

Hooah

No comments: