Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Anybody can get them to go after a worm...

When you are not fishing, golfing or traveling, retirement in the winter can be the pits. It's kind of like sitting at the light with your Corvette in neutral, just revving your engine for two or three months. I know there are lots of things to do -- blogging, painting the upstairs, reading, working the ham radio, watching movies while walking on the treadmill every once in a while, but these things get old. So how can I use my time effectively? I've got it -- I can tie flies. No, not like I used to do when I was a kid and put them in model airplanes and pitched 'em off the roof. The kind you use to fish with.

I've done this before and some of them turned out pretty good... at least to my eyes. I did catch a couple of fish in my pond with one of them, but the fish might have just been humoring me. Anyway, it is an exercise in patience, and it is kind of fun to see if I can actually make something that Ol' Walter thinks is real food. I'm sure it was some great fisherman who once said: "The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly." Oooh -- that was bad. A little fishing humor.

My son got me started on this when he bought all the supplies and manuals for me when I retired from education. I had always wanted to get back to fly fishing. My grandfather first introduced me to it when I was very young and I have one of his rod and reel combos. They were pretty simple back then. So now, I've got chest waders, a cool fishing hat, a large assortment of flies, a few rods and reels and I have actually walked a local river beating the water to a froth.

My goal is to go to Montana with my wife some summer to an area she visited when she was out there on a church work trip. She saw some beautiful rivers that have my name on them. So in the meantime, I'm perfecting my technique, trying to tie flies that actually appeal to fish. But as Wallace Stevens once said, “Perhaps the truth depends on a walk around the lake.”

"There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm." (Patrick F. McManus)

Hooah

No comments: