Monday, June 19, 2017

More about my latest hobby...

I think I mentioned a while back that I took up the sport of trap shooting.  Well, things have been going well and I have really had fun doing it.

Recently, Larry (a friend of mine) and I went up to the shooting club and went after it again.  It was just the two of us, but we put some shot down range.  We fired in 10-round groups -- I used my 20-guage and Larry was using his 12-guage.  Both of us did pretty well, considering how relatively new we both are to this sport.  We're not quite in the 100 hits out of 100 shots category, but being that good is expensive and we're just in it for the fun (no -- we're not too cheap!).

My score breakdown was:  7/10, 7/10, 9/10, 8/10, 4/5.  35/45 isn't really "too" bad.  Kinda like that whole "beauty is in the eye of the beholder (shooter)" thing.  I really like using that 20-guage.  It just fits my shoulder really well and the barrel does not feel heavy.  Larry went 28/40  with his 12-guage, and then borrowed my gun (ran out of his shells) and went 5/5 with it.  Think he might be looking at buying a "20."

Just like any sport you get into, there are lots of "sayings" thrown around by the old hands.  These guys and gals have thrown more shot downrange than most armies, and they usually come up with some pretty good one-liners regarding their ability.  One that I recently heard was:  "They aren't hard to hit...it's just that they're so easily missed."  That one was quickly followed by this one:
"They all broke, even the ones I missed"

Since most sports have a lot in common, that last quote quickly reminded me of Rule #1 from our recent golf trip...
"I didn't miss the putt.  I made the putt...the ball just missed the hole."

Hooah

No comments: