Wednesday, January 4, 2017

I could hit those...

About two months before Christmas I decided to take up a new hobby -- trap shooting. 

One evening after finishing up our weekly round in our golf league, a number of us happened to be sitting in the 19th hole at the golf course, doing what we probably do better than playing golf -- having a beer and telling old stories.  The conversation centered on how so-and-so missed two birdies that night, and somehow turned to one of the guys mentioning that he was much better at shooting quail.  And then it moved on to me saying how I had always wanted to do trap shooting and I thought I just would take that up pretty soon.  Well, then a couple of guys said that if I did, they would too.  And that is how we got started.  Sounds like a productive outcome from a 19th hole discussion group.

Probably the most remarkable thing of all of this is that we actually followed through on it.  Greg, Larry and I all joined a local rod and gun club and actually went out and shot clay birds.  Well...some of us shot AT clay birds, but it was really fun, relaxing, and will probably serve as a whole new source of stories for the sit-arounds we usually have.

So this new hobby gave Pam an idea of what she could get me for Christmas.  I told her how I had actually (luckily or skillfully) shot up pretty much the whole box of birds (that's how you refer to our targets once you are part of the "club") and would have to get more before we went out the next time.  She went to the local Wal-Mart and inquired.  The clerk said they were all sold out, but should have some in before Christmas.  Seems some more people had the same idea because they were sold out again when she went back just before the big day. 

My wife is not one to take small set-backs very easily, so she just came up with a unique solution.  Check these "birds" out.
A little copying from the old bird spotters book, and there you go -- "birds."  Have at it, big boy!

I was able to redeem the paper versions for a new box and am now just waiting for the weather to break.  Just like golf, shooting is not that much fun in snow and low-twenties (Man trip excluded, of course).  Oh, and another way trap shooting is like golfing -- the object is to keep your head down and hit the what you're aiming at.

So the guys at the "club" told me there are two ways to break the targets -- either shoot them or watch them break when they fly on by and hit the ground.  Didn't ask which was better.

Some say it is better to "live, laugh, and love."  I'm kinda likin' "pull, aim and shoot."
Hooah

No comments: