Monday, December 19, 2016

Kitty Hawk...

A long time ago, I wrote a lot of articles about my flying days.  Those times were right up there with the most challenging and exciting events of my life.  I am still a little bitter about having that taken away from me by the government, but every once in a while I get together with one of my friends from the pilot's club and we "go out" for a spin.  I guess what Sam doesn't know won't hurt him.

Anyway, Pam and I had the opportunity to take a trip to the Outer Banks area of North Carolina this past summer.  I know -- that has been a while ago and I'm just now getting around to writing about it.  I find I do my best golfing in temps above 45 and my best writing at temps below that.  BTW -- it's minus 1 degree outside now. There are lots of really great things to write about, but I wanted to start out with our visit to the Kitty Hawk area where the Wright Brothers first flew their plane.  There are lots of excellent exhibits and plenty of historical sights laying out what must have been an awesome time to live.  There are also plenty of displays that chronicle the written history of their work.  Probably much more than most people would want to take the time to read.

This plaque in the huge rock marked the spot where the first flight took place, going from there to  the first rock on that flight, the second rock on the second flight, and the third rock on the third and longest flight.  I do not recall if the small rail located to the right of the rock is the actual rail used in conjunction with the flight or if it is merely a visual aid.

The weather didn't hold allowing them to do much more beyond that, but their theory had been proven.  Powered flight was now a reality.

On the grounds there is also a mock-up of the work shop/shed where they supposedly did lots of work on the plane's parts, and supposedly parked things when they needed to get them in , out of the elements.  There were a lot of visitors there that day and since there was no Ranger around to watch the sheds, all the little kids felt they had to run around inside them.Not so sure I would have wanted my kids running around inside them.

Again, having been a pilot, I was pretty much into this place and what was done here.  But by itself, this wouldn't even begin to show the brilliance of these two brothers from Dayton, Ohio.  To get a better glimpse into the history of flying, people need to visit the Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson AFB, which is located in Dayton, OH.  Ironic. What they need to do here at Kitty Hawk is come up with some sort of time travel machine that would take visitors back and forth between Dayton and Kitty Hawk.  It is truly incredible to see the rapid advancement of aviation that took place after the Wright's flight of December 17, 1903.

Oh, and one other thing -- I don't know why it struck me as such a revelation, but there is a small airfield (NR01 is the field identifier.  Elevation is only 10' ASL - estimated)  there on the grounds.  When Pam and I were out on the  beach, I would see the typical tourist thing of an airplane flying over the beach, towing a banner advertising eating establishments, etc. But I never knew where they came from.  Now I know.

I would have loved to have been able to take the controls of one of their Cessna's and flown on the same grounds as the Wrights, the place where it all began.
Again, this was just one part of our vacation trip to the Outer Banks (a.k.a. "OBX"), but for me it was like going back to my favorite malt shop in Zanesville where I grew up.  I kinda think I knew what took place there and kinda remember what it all led to, but it was so much fun to see it.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.  (Leonardo Da Vinci) 

Hooah

No comments: