Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Another day trip...

Every once in a while, we like to take day trips to some location in this state.  A pretty good stand-by is the Columbus Zoo -- it is pretty close, usually has something new to see or do, and is not very expensive (they have a military veteran discount). 

This trip was no exception to the "something new to see or do" rule.  It seems that somehow in my long life, I have never had the pleasure of tasting a cup of "dip-n-dots."  So, as we were walking around the grounds looking for a place to buy a cold bottle of water, we came across one of the food vendors who had both the water and the aforementioned ice cream treat.  I saw that they had a mint flavor so I got a small helping.  It was actually pretty good, and kinda fun to eat.  Guess I had been missing out all these years.  I don't know if it was healthy or not, but it tasted good so it probably wasn't. But then again, the food I got from a street vendor in Korea while on a military assignment probably wasn't healthy either, but tasted and smelled good and I survived.
The second area that we came across that was "new" to us was the big open range area up past the elephants.  It was a big open range that had several different kinds of animals roaming around in an environment that was more like what they would normally live in.  All of these animals were grass eaters and it was really fun to just stand there and watch them roaming around.

There was also a feeding platform where you could watch the giraffes get fed.  Pam really liked that part and she was able to have one of them eat something from her hand.  Couldn't pet them, but the zoo personnel would supervise and you could reach down enough to give them a leaf . Like I said, something new and different.
There are lots of fun things to do on these day trips if one just takes the time to look for them.  Speaking of looking for something to do, I did notice that the zoo has a nice looking 18-hole golf course co-located on the grounds.  I told Pam that the next time we came over, she could walk the zoo grounds and I would walk the golf grounds.  Sounds like a plan.
Hooah

No comments: