Saturday, January 2, 2016

Well, it worked the first time...

About this time last year, I was out cutting holes in the ice on the pond to try to make sure oxygen could get into the water and carbon dioxide could escape.  There were quite a few times I would go out on the ice, at least 8" thick at the time, and fire up the chain saw in order to get the holes going.  This picture brings back old memories.
If you live around here, you know we haven't had anything close to the weather conditions shown in this picture so far this winter.  And I know I am probably jinxing things, but it won't be the first time for that.

So, this morning when I got up, I saw the pond was frozen over.  We had a whole day yesterday with temperatures around 24 degrees, so I wasn't surprised.  But it was bright and sunny so I thought maybe this would take care of itself.  By mid-afternoon, however, my curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to test the sales line the pond aerator guy told me.  He said that when the pond got frozen over, all I had to do was go turn on the pump and the aerator would open up a hole in the ice for me.

I understand the theory behind it -- the warmer (?) water from the bottom of the pond, mixed with the warmer air produced by the pump, would generate a warm stream of water and bubbles and it would thaw the ice from below and open the hole.  Guess what -- it did just what it was supposed to do, and it only took 10-15 minutes.  Now, again, this was only about a half inch of ice so the jury is still out.  But, if this works, I think the chain saw will stay in the basement this winter.  I'll let you know.  And I think the key will be keeping up with the ice, not letting it get so thick.

In seed-time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy... (William Blake)... and wait for the spring thaw and theorize how much bigger our fish will be.(me)

Hooah

No comments: