Sunday, March 30, 2014

(Mountain) Man Trip, 2014 (Part 2)...

Those of you who have read this blog in the past will remember that this time of year is the time when 4 of us (Dave, Chuck, Larry and I) go on our spring golf outing, a.k.a "The MAN Trip."  Well, this year, I wanted to try something different and change the location a bit.  I have always loved the mountains, and what better way to enjoy this time of year than to match golf with a mountain vista.  So I tweaked the name a bit, thus "Mountain Man Trip."

I have always wanted to play golf in the Asheville, NC area.  Pam and I visited there many years ago and I thought it was quite impressive.  So, one evening I hit the Google searches and found a golf package that looked pretty good, located in Whittier, NC, just a little drive west of Asheville, but still within our self-imposed 8 hour/one-day driving limitation.  The town of Whittier isn't much -- two intersections, and a couple of little shops, but the surrounding area was very nice.  Clear streams (maybe a fly fishing trip in the future ??), emerging flowers and tree buds, and beautiful mountain views. 


And right in the middle of that area was our destination, The Smoky Mountain Country Club.  Sight unseen, we decided that this would be the place this year.  Remembering that we had been in Tennessee before and got booked in a place called the Dayton Country Club (burned out fairways and green, spray painted greens), some in the group were a little skeptical of another sight unseen "Country Club", but I said this was the place we were going and off we went.  I felt pretty confident after talking with Mike C., our point of contact.  He sounded like he really had things under control and I thought it was worth a shot, if for no other reason than to meet him.  Needless to say, we were not disappointed.  This complex was fantastic.  The condo we stayed in was outstanding.  The pictures don't do it justice because I used my phone  camera and those shots just aren't as good as my Canon. 

Our back balcony overlooked the 11th green, nestled between two mountains and up a canyon.  We thought that was a very nice scene until we played the course and found out how difficult it was to actually hit the green, make the ball stay on it and then sink a putt.  In fact, seeing this course and this hole and where it was located reminded me of a saying I once read in an Army mountaineering field manual (it fits golfing too) -- “It’s always further than it looks. It’s always taller (breaks more) than it looks. And it’s always harder than it looks.”  (the three rules of mountaineering with a golfing truism added for emphasis).

Also just out of our door, we could climb up a small road and get a better look at the mountains.  The incline was so steep that old timers like us used the excuse that we were looking at the views  every 25-30 steps.  Actually, it looked like the road went up about 300 feet in just a little ways.  Certainly got the blood flowing.  My heart doctor would have been proud of me.  This picture to the left shows our building to the left.  Dave's car is parked by the door...this might give you some perspective as to the climb.  In some ways it was good that we came when we did because we were able to see more without the leaves and trees blocking out everything.

 The picture to the right shows a couple of fairways that were a ways from our condo.  I think the next time I go there I want to have the trees and flowers all out and the fairway grass green.  This place was simply outstanding, and the course was in pretty good shape just coming out of winter, but I just have this thing about wanting to play on green grass.

There were a couple of nice towns nearby and plenty of good places to eat.  People were very friendly and easy to talk to.  That's always a good thing when you are traveling to a place for the first time.  I would also give high marks for the friendliness of everyone at the Smoky Mountain CC -- the rental place and the pro shop.

I have covered pretty much all aspects of the golf part of the trip.  But what if you are bringing a family?  I understand there was a pool located on/near the condo grounds (we didn't see it though), and there was a gym (we're playing golf in the mountains -- isn't that enough exercise?) for guests. Locally we saw canoe and river rafting places, and saw that there were riding stables in the area featuring trail rides in the mountains.  There were flea markets along the roads near the condo, and in the local towns there were small shopping areas for food and such.  We also got gas for 20 cents/gallon less than back in Ohio or Kentucky.

Yes ............ I think I will have to go back and stay here again. As their advertising says -- this is an experience few flatland golfers ever get to enjoy.  I have a few scores to settle with some of the holes on the golf course, and I really want to see the area when it is green. I'm certainly glad we weren't scared off by a disappointing past experience.   I'll let you know how it turns out.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the things you did do.  So throw off the bowlines and sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the trade winds in your sails.  Explore.  Dream.  Discover.  (Mark Twain)

Hooah

No comments: