Sunday, March 31, 2013

Now it's our turn...

Many, many years ago, my grandmother took me to see the circus in New York.  It was the Greatest Show on Earth -- the Ringling Brothers, Barnum & Bailey Circus and it was playing at the Madison Square Garden.  I was pretty young then, and really impressed with all the trappings of the circus.  The animals, the strange-looking people (some of whom were even in the circus), and the surroundings. It was quite a show.  Having read about it before we left Zanesville, I thought I knew what to expect.  However, it was every bit as advertised -- the greatest show on earth.  Every grandparent should have the opportunity to take their grandchild to the land of make believe and wonder.

Now, many years later, my memories have shifted a bit.  I do remember getting sick because I ate too much junk food (and that is why I wouldn't let our grandson have a cotton candy when we went this past week).  I also remember all the shiny toys and trinkets and how much I wanted to have  ............. whatever it was.  I can't remember now!!  Anyway, it was a great time.  So when we were planning to visit NY to stay with DDQ&H for the week (Quinn's schools were closed for Spring Break) and Doug sent us an email telling us that the circus was in town, I knew we had to take Quinn. What an opportunity.
Since Doug had to work and Danika had to stay with Heath, we would have to navigate the subway system all by ourselves (well, Quinn would be there and surprisingly, he knew his way around pretty well).  It wasn't that big of a deal.  It was only 10 stops and one flight of stairs.  Piece of cake.
So here we are at the Barclays Center getting ready to go in for the show. It was really pretty good, but had a little more gymnastics than I remember.  And I didn't see the clowns who would twirl the plates up on sticks.  I missed them.  But all in all, it still had the big show appeal.

On the way out of the show, Quinn convinced us that he had never had a snow cone before and he really, really wanted one.  So, since we're either the two most gullible people on the earth, or just because we thought it would be fun to have a frozen ice treat too, we bought one for him.  I have never seen such a blue mouth before.
But like I said, it was fun for us, and pretty amazing to see him react to everything.  This is truely one of those things every grandparent should experience.  Who knows -- maybe your grandson will also get to put on a big red nose and think just for a second what fun it would be to belong to a circus.  Maybe you'll put it on yourself!!
Sometimes I think God wants there to be a circus so we can show there's another way to respond.  (Tony Dungy)

Hooah
P.S.  While I was watching the Rignmaster do his thing out there, and he was really quite good at it, I wondered where he got his training.  I wondered if he was a theater or music graduatge from a college or university.  I mean it makes sense, doesn't it.  Anyway, the point  is -- I bet his parents are proud of him -- graduating with a degree and then running off to join the circus :-)

No comments: