Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The beauty and curiosity of it all ...

I was walking around the yard the other day and couldn't help but notice the color and beauty of the trees and flowers, so I thought I would get some pictures of them before the predicted freeze expected that night might wipe them out.

Check these out:
One of the Dogwoods from D&D's wedding.



There is all this beauty in our yard.  What a gift.

And then along comes a layer of clouds and presents me with another gift -- the "curiosity" part of the entry... Have you ever seen a long horizon full of clouds and noticed they are all flat on the bottom of the cloud and all puffy on top.  Why are they always flat on the bottom and not on top?  Not even just once in a while.

I learned the answer when I was learning to fly, but it really is interesting.  Do you know?  I can tell you that when I would take the plane up through the cloud layers, it was not a ceiling that one would bump into, and there wasn't really any noticeable change in pressure or greater amounts of turbulence.  But it's just interesting why they are so flat on the bottom.

All of this reminds me of a poem by William Carlos Williams , "The Little Red Wheelbarrow."
so much depends upon
a red wheel barrow
glazed with rain water
beside the white chickens.
Have you ever seen a cloud going by that kinda, sorta looked like Mickey Mouse, or one that looked like an Indian or a elephant?  I think that's what's behind the flat-bottomed cloud thing.  I'm sure there is a scientific reason for their being flat (there really is), but I also think there is a "curiosity factor" in there too...an imagination factor, if you will, that God put there so we would expand our outlook -- open our brain -- challenge our eyes.

The cure for boredom is curiosity.  There is no cure for curiosity.  (Dorothy Parker)

Hooah

No comments: