Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Boys of Summer...

I know, I know ... we all know it's summer.  In fact, it's now the 4th of July, long past the beginning of the grilling season, neighbor boys little league ball games, golf league, and 2-3 times per week mowing the grass.  But since I was such a slug in keeping you informed on what has been going on around here, I thought I would fill you in.

The neighbor boys were over a week ago and did some fishing.  Dylan got pretty lucky that evening -- catching one of the big bass in the pond.  Carter caught bluegills like they were going out of style, and I believe Jarred caught a crappie.  But it was Dylan who came away the big winner.
Dylan went home the big winner for this day, but the fish will have their day.

Later that same week, one of the neighbors went for a ride on an experimental "wing."  The pilot is an Air Force full-time technician who lives a couple of miles from here, and the neighbor (Dave) has a Cessna 180 which he keeps in his hanger just down the road.  He has a real nice grass strip which he uses all the time.  Well, the "wing" came in one night and picked him up.  What a beautiful night for flying.  I bet that was fun.  I'll have to try it some time.


We also welcomed back the hummingbirds.  I really enjoy being out back on the deck when I hear them, buzzing like miniature buzz-bombs, darting here and there, chasing each other, or just sitting quietly on the feeders.
















 We also had some ducks stop by for a visit:
And one of the guys down the road took down his wheat this week.  The field was across from our house -- Quinn would have loved to have been here to see it.
Doug would have had a hard time with all the pollen.
Summer is a great time to be here.  I have sat out by the fire ring at least 6 times in the past two weeks.  It is really nice watching the stars, listening to the fish jump, and the frogs croak.  There's also a sense of comfort knowing these guys have my back, over in the cemetery behind the house.  
There are 8 Civil War Vets buried out there.
When you can think of  yesterday without regret and of tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.


Hooah

No comments: