Saturday, March 26, 2011

Looking forward to the next phase of our lives...

My beautiful bride says she is finally going to retire this May.  We turned 62 last year and she figured now was a good time to hang it up and see if she could put up with me full time for the next 20-30 years. 

We've been putting together a list of things we want to do when both of us are retired.  It seems the travel category has the most entries under it.  I still want to see the mountains in Montana (in the summer preferably) and fly fish in one of the rivers there.  Pam went there on a mission trip once and brought back some beautiful pictures.  What a glorious creation.

I also want to see the Grand Canyon.  Only, I want to see it at night, under a full moon.  I read somewhere about a man who stood on one of the canyon trails looking over the sides.  He said the moon brought out a color that was beyond description.  I also want to take a train across the US northern states and up to Alaska.  Don't want much do I.


Another of the items on our list is a tour through the New England states in the fall, when all the leaves are turning.  I also wouldn't mind staying at Bob Newhart's Inn, wherever that is.  We went on a short vacation with Doug and Danika once at Lake George, and drove up through Vermont.  We also had a really fun time with them in Maine (But that's another story).  These were very nice.  Maybe we'll do more vacationing with them and Quinn.



And I know you are not supposed to go back to places once you've been there, but I would like to go back to Door County, Wisconsin again.  That was such a beautiful, relaxing area.  It met all the requirements for us:  woods/forests, water (lakes or oceans), good eating, beautiful little towns, and friendly people. 

People always ask me what we'll do once Pam retires, and I tell them about my list.  They always come back with the comment, "Oh, your Bucket list."  I don't know why everyone thinks you're making up a "do-before-you-die" list, a.k.a. "Bucket list."  Sometimes, there are just lists of things you want to do or want to see, just because they are there.  Sometimes just the act of creating a list -- a string of things that might otherwise trigger old memories -- keeps you motivated.  Keeps you believing you're still young enough to do these things, and interesting enough that someone wants to share your company on those long drives.


She glances at the photo, and the pilot light of memory flickers in her eyes.  (Frank Deford)

Hooah

No comments: