Sunday, September 19, 2010

Something new at the Sidney Air Fair...

Although I can say I have already checked off riding in a hot air balloon (Pam and I did that for an anniversary present one year), I have never been part of a balloon crew before -- at least not until this past weekend. Now, I can officially cross that off my bucket list. It was pretty cool.

The weekend started off Friday night when we got to take a ride. I have to say, it was pretty smooth and very scenic. Our pilot, Rubin, said that he could have a new pilot ready to be tested in 10 hours of flying instruction. It takes a minimum of 40 hours of instruction in a fixed wing plane just to get signed off to take your solo test and then get your check ride. They still have to do pretty much the same safety stuff we do in terms of 100-hour inspections and annuals, etc.

After we returned to the airport, we set the balloons up again and they had what they call a "glow." Those are really cool -- these huge things all aglow with the propane burners shooting out flames and roaring away. Unfortunately my little camera isn't up to the task of capturing this very well for you.

But having seen a number of these, I can see why the old farmers in the earliest days of hot air flight thought they were horrible demonic things with devils flying them. In those days the farmers used to come out after the crew with pitchforks when they would land. Thankfully now they only come out in their tractor or golf cart with the wife and kids to see this way cool site.

As we were floating over near the interstate highway, we got close enough to the "Lost Corn Maze" to see what their design was this year. Ironically enough, it was a hot air balloon. Who would have thought.

My niece, Meredith, is a hot air balloon pilot and she had her "envelope" (that's the fancy name those pilots call their balloon.) there, but hers is a small one so she was only able to take her mom on the Friday night flight. But that's a good thing, cause her mom has never been flying with her in all the years Meredith has been doing this. Good for you, Carol.

As we were floating along, seeming to stand completely still while the earth moved below us, I remembered an old aviation joke which I just now converted to hot air ballooning.

A man flying in a hot air balloon suddenly realizes he’s lost. He reduces height and spots a man down below. He lowers the balloon further and shouts to get directions, “Excuse me, can you tell me where I am?”

The man below says: “Yes, you’re in a hot air balloon, hovering 30 feet above this field.”

“You must work in Information Technology,” says the balloonist.

“I do” replies the man. “How did you know?”

“Well,” says the balloonist, “everything you have told me is technically correct, but It’s of no use to anyone.” The man below replies, “You must work in management.”

“I do” replies the balloonist, “But how’d you know?”

“Well”, says the man, “you don’t know where you are, or where you’re going, you expect me to be able to help. You’re in the same position you were before we met, but now it’s my fault.”

Hooah

No comments: