Tuesday, October 6, 2009

This was a tough one...

I have been putting off writing this because it's still close.

When I got home from the golf tournament, Pam told me I had to call Wink... he had just called to tell us that his youngest son, Damon, had been killed in Afghanistan. My God, I know how this hit me -- I can't even begin to know how he and his wife, Pat, were taking it. How is one supposed to feel when he loses a son. I have known this family for a very long time and served with Wink (SGM Winkleman) for probably 20 some years. I know military families have faced this for centuries, but it always rips you up when it's this close. All Soldiers think they're Superman, 7-ft. tall and bullet proof, and old Soldiers, especially, think if anything ever does happen, it will happen to them and not the younger guys.

SPC Winkleman was a medic with a unit of the 82d ABN and was responding to a call for help from a unit that was under fire. The vehicle he was riding in turned over, killing him and another Soldier and seriously injuring the other two in the vehicle. According to reports from those who were there, this roll-over stopped the rest of the convoy and they subsequently came under fire. When they were able to get back to their vehicles, they discovered the rest of the road in front of them was mined. If their vehicle had not overturned, perhaps the entire convoy would have been lost.

When the military got the body back to Ohio that Tuesday, the route the motorcade took to their hometown was lined with people with flags, cars pulled over and people standing beside the road. When they got back to the town, I was told everyone in the town came out to line the streets, including all the young people in the schools. The funny thing is, I think aside from paying their respects, every one of those people really knew Damon. He was a good kid, a normal kid, the kind of young man small-town America grows and is proud of -- the kind who answers the call and says "Send Me."

I've been sitting here for a while with my fingers on the keyboard, not knowing what else to say...what else I can say. I know... I believe... Damon is in a much better place right now, but I also know Wink and Pat, his brothers Jason and Nathan, their families, and the people of their community are all still hurting. They say time will heal this, and their faith will get them through it, but I don't know if I would be as strong.


SPC Damon G. Winkleman

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight. (Kahlil Gibran)

Hooah

No comments: