Saturday, January 19, 2008

As we work toward April 15th ...

It's 2100 hours, only 10 degrees outside headed for the sub-zero figures and I am sitting here pulling together all the important little pieces of paper I saved over the past year in an attempt to organize myself for the Tax Man's inevitable visit on or about April 15. I guess one can never start too soon.

Unfortunately, my enthusiasm is lagging a bit and it's hard to get fired up. Maybe I just need some enlightenment or some inspiration. Where can I get some of that? Oh, those of you who have read some of the entries in this space to date are way ahead of me aren't you ... Yep, the Green Book!!

Unfortunately, I don't have any Dog wisdom that fits here, but I did come up with some guidance from an interesting old cowboy -- Ronald Reagan who said: "The Taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the Civil Service examination."

I bet this will MOTIVATE me.

What the heck. While we're on that topic, do you suppose the general populace is getting "motivated" by all the STUFF thrown around on the TV by all the political candidates. They all say they are going to change things. Reagan had some thoughts on the subjects of politics and government. He once said: "Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards. If you disgrace yourself you can always write a book." S'pose that's why the political book section is so big at Little Professor stores.

Change? Why would we want to change this: "Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." (R. Reagan)

Or change this: "Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other." (R. Reagan)

Or change this: "I have often wondered at times what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress." (R. Reagan)

Or change this: "It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned, however, that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." (R. Reagan)

Oh well. This too shall pass. The tax man will be satisfied and America will elect someone and as Charles Schultz once said, "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Hooah




1 comment:

Poolpatcher said...

Oh the "Green Book"! I just recently ran across one of them with notes on the number sheets, pillow cases, mops, brooms, floor fans, dust pans, and fox tails I had to account for. I have telephone numbers of mess halls, "DRC's", supply rooms, and ammo dumps. I have notes on MIPR's, hours of operations for the fuel points, and where "mid-rats" (midnight rations) were available. Yes, the "Green Book"...the Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook...all wrapped up neatly in a little green book marked "Memorandum". Thanks for the memory!